Sunday 10 April 2011

Narrative ideas!

Now that I have my three words I need to decide what I want my narrative to be about. Because I believe that the music has a kind of sneaky feel to it, I wanted it to be basically someone doing something sneakily and creeping around, I also wanted my animation to have a little bit of a comedy factor, have a funny twist to it sort of. I decided that because I wanted my animation to be something creeping up behind something I focused on the area of animals that stalk their prey. These kind of animals are very crafty and sneaky, and "Travel" to catch their prey, and I thought that I could picture a narrative like this going well with my music! 


Theses pages, basically just say what I said above them, I made a list of animals that stalk prey, well actually it started out with a list of animals that remind me of creeping around, which is why a mouse is on the list (I'm aware mice aren't really predators) anyway, then I noticed it turned into a list of predators, so I decided to think of connotations to do with each animal, for example I put a fox, and foxes have connotations of being sly, quick and cunning (ie Quick like a fox, sly as a fox) or I chose a cat, they have connotations of curiousity, being sneaky etc (is curiousity killed the cat). The idea of using a cat for my narrative did stick in my head, because they have the sneaky factor, and the curious factor, and they do tend to link in the the word travelling especially when they are stalking prey, they seem to make a very slow, and long dedicated journey to make sure their prey don't hear them. I also thought a cat would be quite fun to animate, and they have quite obvious character, they tend to strut around confidently, and I also think that the confidence factor links into this music.
 Even though I liked the cat idea, I decided to experiment with other animals, I had written down owls on my list, seeing as they are birds of prey, so I did some drawings of an owl and then thought up a little storyboard narrative idea...here below. Basically there are two owls on a tree, one is asleep and the other one is in love with the sleeping one, he gradually sidles closer to the sleeping one but in the end he goes too far and accidentally pushes the sleeping one off the branch! I do like this because it has the kind of comedy factor I was looking for.

Above are narratives about a cat stalking a mouse, the mouse is innocently eating a piece of cheese and the cat quietly sneaks up behind it, and eventually eats it. The second narrative is about a little spider, he's hanging from the ceiling next to a girl who is unaware of him, the spider is curious so begins to get closer to the girl, she begins to notice and then screams one the spider has landed on her, and he gives her a cheeky little wave, he only wanted to say hello bless him! 

I then decided to focus on the cat idea, so I did a few narratives including cats, one was that a cat snook up on a bird whilst it was sitting in a tree and then ate it.

This one involve a cake! I was trying to think of something a cat could do in the house that was mischievious seeing as I wanted it to be a curious cat. So I thought that it could be curious towards some kind of food, and I decided to use cake, because i can't imagine a cat saying no to some cake! The first animation is the cat spotting the cake, and wondering what it is, deciding to go in for a closer look, and also to see if it's food, it decides to climb up the chest of drawers, but unfortunately it get's trapped in one of the drawers on the way up, failing to get the cake. I thought this idea could maybe link into "Curiousity killed the cat" phrase. The second narrative is basically the same idea but i just included some stairs, so that the cat could be coming down them as a bit of a variety. I think that the background would be made of cardboard, so i don't think that stairs would be a good idea in the end, but it is good to consider different options.

This is again a cake vs cat idea (actually i quite like the name of cake vs cat!) anyway, the cat spies the cake, and wants to get a closer look and eat it maybe, so makes his way towards is, but instead of getting stuck in a drawer, he gets squished by the door as it's opened by a person. I think this would be quite a funny twist to the narrative. I liked this idea, but I had to consider how it would get in the way of the door in the first place, because the door is ont he opposite side to where the cat walks in from. So I considered this and wrote it down (as you may be able to see from the photo) and I thought that maybe the cat could creep onto the other side of the dresser, possibly to get a closer look/better angle to get at it, and then instead of climbing up the drawers, it is actually going to try and jump on top of them so just as it is about to get into position to jump it gets squished against the wall by the opening door! I also thought that this would be quite a funny effect especially if I'm doing it with plasticine! 

Now I have to make a proper storyboard, I am going to do this by printing out the storyboard templates we have been provided with and hand drawing my narrative idea out, into a number of frames so that my narrative can be understood and makes sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment