Thursday 10 March 2011

Creating the final piece

Now that I had decided on my final piece idea it was time to make it! I started out by creating 100 small squares  like this...
and scoring the sides so fold them over to create more of a diamond shape. Eventually I made 100
Lovely little tower! Then I began experimenting with how to put them all together securely, I decided that I was going to do 10 rows of 10 squares at first, and then once they were all secured I would join them all together, and then hopefully form my tower like design.
first of all I tried to secure me squares with masking tape, which worked but was very obvious that it was there, and I wanted my sculpture to not show how obviously it was secured together.

As you can see its a little obvious. 
I didnt really want to use glue, as it isn't guaranteed to work, and I didn't think it would and didn't really want to make a mess for no reason. I decided that I would try sewing pieces together...

This idea seemed to work so I decided to do this throughout the construction of all the pieces and then for added security similar to what the maskin tape has given me, i decided to use sellotape as well.
so that it would be extra supported.

Once all of my ten rows of ten squares were finished I began to connect them all together so that the formed one big "wall like" construction. My main idea was to create the cylinder shape that I made a practice model of. HOWEVER!
this structure wouldn't work! my square structure wasn't strong enough to support this idea! So I decided that I quite liked the idea of design number 3 where the shape would be flat and inspired by the pattern of a flower or some natural form opening, so I began to construct that... and was very pleased with the outcome!

here is is task 1 final piece!

I also want to make a little square stand for it so that it isnt just on the floor.
tried to take some text photos of it with light coming through it just to see how it looked...

Really like the shape of my sculpture I'm really pleased with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment