Thursday 10 March 2011

Developing for task 2 and research

I was planning to develop my sculpture for task 1 so that it could become a new sculpture for the task 2 which was the GF Smith poster celebrating 100 years, so to develop and change my sculpture, I thought that one way I could do this was to make it more obvious it was linked to the number 100. I had already created the sculpture out of 100 squares but I wanted "100" to physically be in the poster. So I thought a good way of doing this was to actually create the number 100 out of paper...

As part of research I also created a mind map for inspiration...

I decided to create a 100 stencil out of paper to somehow be incorporated into my sculpture.


At first I just placed the "100" onto the original sculpture, just for some ideas....

these ideas where pretty interesting and were at least adding the element of a hundred into my piece, however I wanted to change the structure of my sculpture for the final piece poster, So I experimented and changed the shape, then added the 100 on top of it again...

I liked the idea of changing my sculpture into a diamond shape as I thought it was very decorative, and would look attractive on the poster. I also thought that it would be nice if the sculpture would hang from string, The idea of putting the 100 stencil in the middle of the piece was on  idea, but I also wanted to experiment with another...
I decided to attach string to my piece and take test shots just to see if it looked attractive hanging. I included taking pictures with light shining through as well, just for my own interest and experimentation...





















They produced some very interesting photos, however I think in my final piece poster I will want to use a white background rather that dark


Now that I had decided that my piece for task one would be hanging, and diamond shaped, I now had to experiment with an idea to portray the "100" As well as the idea of sticking it onto the middle of the sculpture, however I realised that the sculpture will porbably rotate if it was hanging, so I would have to consider putting a stencil on each side of the sculpture, this could work but I didn't really like the idea enough. I also thought about cutting out multiple stencils of "100" and placing them in the middle of my sculpture, and though about making even maybe a hundred of the stencils, however I thought this could be time consuming. But then I thought of maybe having the 100 hanging from the bottom in the style of a mobile nearly. I cut the stencil and also cut out a long shape for it to hang from....
I wanted it to hang from the bottom of the piece so I had to think of a way to attach it on. I had the idea of attaching it through the middle of the sculpture so I created a cylinder paper piece to stick into the middle like so...

and then attached the cylinder and stencil together like so...
and then I attached it within my sculpture!
Ta Daaa!
here it is! ready for it's photoshoot!




No comments:

Post a Comment